Spent the weekend on the construction of a new server. Objective was to build a system with large RAID 1 space for archiving, that would also double as a fast render engine for Truespace. System was speced out to inlcude:
- Thermaktake Tsunami VA3000BWA
- ASUS A8N5X w/ nForce4 Mobo
- AMD Athlon 64 processor 3200
- Thermaltake CL-P0200 Silent 939 K8 CPU Cooler
- Radion X1600 Pr PCIe 512M Graphics Card
- Corsair XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200)
- SilverStone Strider ST60F 600watt PSU w/ modular cables
- Seagate ST3200822A-RK 200 GB ATA Internal Hard Drive (IDE Master)
- 2 x Seagate 500 GB Barracuda 7200.9 SATA Internal Hard Drive (500Gb Raid 1)
- Pioneer DVD R/W (Reclaimed from another system)
Oh the name of the new system is Damocles - hence the title of this post. Move along now.
29 October 2006 Update: Added 2 x 320Gb SATA drives last week. Configured as RAID 1. System is now 720Gb RAID 1 (give or take a Gb). Total disk space in the cabinet is 1.84Tb. And to think, the first PC I had with a hard disk was an IBM PC XT with a whopping 10Mb drive.